And, as always, if you need us, you can contact
- The Rector on 01387 254126 / 07487 653069 / email@example.com
- The Church Office on 07754 596140 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual General Meeting:
The Annual General Meeting will take place on the 1st October. As usual it will be held within the context of the 11am service. There will be a bring and share lunch and the formal meeting will follow. Forms for nominations to the elected vacancies are at the back of the church. The AGM papers are at the back of the church. If they run out, please ask the Church Office. If you prefer to receive them by email, please sign the sheet at the back of the church. You only need to give your name, assuming we have your up to date email address. If you will NOT be able to attend the AGM, and would like your apologies noted, there is a sheet to sign for this as well. If you wish to raise a matter under Any Other Business please let Margaret Morton have the details of that by 12 noon on Friday 29th September. email@example.com or 01387 262734
If there is sufficient demand, we hope to run a trip (destination not decided on, yet, but suggestions welcome) in mid-October (possibly 14th or 21st, date still to be decided); we may also run something in mid-November, and there has been a suggestion we might go to the Christmas Market in Hawkshead (near Ambleside/Windermere) on or about 2 December. Watch this space!
Other Dates for your Diary:
- Friday, 06/10/2023: Beetle Drive*
- Friday, 19/01/2024: Burns Supper
- Thursday, 14/03/2024 Pamper Session
- Saturday, 16/03/2024 Men’s Breakfast
* See notice below….
- A gentle reminder to those who have bought tickets for Cook and Taste India – this will take place in the Hall on Saturday 30th September at 2.30 pm. Come ready to enjoy all the goodies on offer, and watch out for the raffle prizes, too.
- Watch out for MU Prayer space which is held on the second Thursday of the month, via Zoom, at 12noon and 8pm. You’ve (probably) just missed Peace & Reconciliation this week, but forthcoming sessions include Faith in Action (12 Oct), Gender Justice (9 Nov) and God With Us (14 Dec). Details on the poster on the lit noticeboard, and also the St J’s website. The Church Office (pastadmin@stjohnsdumfries.,org) can provide Zoom joining details. The invitation to join in ‘Prayer Space’ is not just for MU members…(see above)
We are hoping to have different themes in the window bays in the church at Harvest, particularly celebrating the theme of ‘Gifts’. If you would like to contribute towards the cost of the flowers, provide some kind of gift, or would like to take on decorating a bay yourself, please speak to Carolynne or Janice.
Activities are resuming after the summer break. Short Mat Bowling will resume, in the Hall, this Tuesday, 26/09/2023; the Quiz Nights will resume this Friday, 29/09/2023, both at 7.30pm.
On the subject of activities, please support the Beetle Drive here at St J’s Hall on Friday, 06/10/2023. Doors open 18.30; eyes (however many you have) down at 19.00. There will be a refreshment break halfway through (no bush tucker involved), and a raffle. No entry fee, but donations invited. If you’ve never played before, don’t worry; all will be explained, and it should be fun.
Dumfries Christian Network tells us…
African Children’s Choir on Monday 25th September at 2.00pm in St Andrew’s Church (picture of poster below…note that the time is incorrectly stated on the poster; concert starts at 2pm, not 2.30pm)
- CLC: This is the Quartz house group, we meet every second Monday. More info is on the website. [www.wordsmithcrafts.co.uk]. On the 05/10/2023, we are planning to meet at Tatyana’s! Please get in touch if you need directions.
- Forest Church: We will continue to meet at the Crichton on the 3rd Sunday in the Month.
- Magazine: A Quartz review is being written for the Autumn/Winter St Johns Magazine. You can still read the last one in the current magazine which can be downloaded from the St John’s website or picked up in the building.
- The Blog: This site is maintained by Wordsmith Crafts CIC. Sometimes the content comes from people who have sent things in. There is the capacity to let other people post blogs directly too, and these will be tagged with their name. This expands the use of the site to encourage discussion, even for those who cannot physically meet in one place often. If you would like to contribute, or recommend someone, please get in touch.
- An invitation: Would you like to become more involved in Quartz? We will be publishing a list of ideas for projects. If you are inspired and would like to contribute an idea have a quick search on the website for similar things to compare it with what Quartz has done in the past – then send your idea in. Once the list is published, we will be trying to find people to help make them happen! Involvement in one activity does not commit you to being involved in any others (unless you want to be). If you are willing to be more involved in the planning and selection of ideas let us know.
Dumfries Academy tell us…We would be extremely grateful if you could share details about our Fairtrade Coffee Morning with your congregation. It is being held on Saturday, 30th of September, 10am – 12:00 pm at St George’s Church Hall. All the money raised will help pupils to finance a life changing trip to Kenya in 2024. Entry costs £5 for adult and children can attend for free!
There will be live musical performances by pupils throughout the morning, a raffle and a selection of stalls selling home-baking, second-hand books and home-made jewellery.
It promises to be a good day!