And, as always, if you need us, you can contact
- The Rector on 01387 254126 / 07487 653069 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Church Office on 07754 596140 / email@example.com
Please note, the Church Office will be closed on Monday, 18/09/2023.
Annual General Meeting:
The Annual General Meeting will take place on the 1st October. As usual it will be held within the context of the 11am service. There will be a bring and share lunch and the formal meeting will follow. Forms for nominations to the elected vacancies are at the back of the church.
Next trip is on Saturday, 23/09/2023. The current proposal is that it will be to Bowness-on- Windermere. There, we can board the Windermere Lake Cruises Yellow Cruise for Lakeside Pier. At Lakeside Pier is the Lakes Aquarium and various other attractions. The round trip cruise (£17.30) takes 90 minutes, or we can stop off & visit the Aquarium etc and return by a later boat to B on W and thence back to Dumfries. Bus (assuming a minimum of 10 travelling) – £15. Mid-September weather is often nice, but, remember, this is the Lake District. Bring oil skins, Kendal Mint Cake etc., even if not planning to fall off the boat…David
Other Dates for your Diary:
- Friday, 06/10/2023: Beetle Drive
- Friday, 19/01/2024: Burns Supper
- Thursday, 14/03/2024 Pamper Session
- Saturday, 16/03/2024 Men’s Breakfast
The first lunchtime meeting of Mothers’ Union’s new programme will take place on Thursday 21st September 2023, when there will be a talk by Mrs Ann Frain – Bell about The Sumner Family. It is amazing to have a local connection with Mary Sumner, the founder of Mothers’ Union.
Despite its name, MU is an inclusive organisation, supporting families and projects around the world. Anyone is welcome to come along – you do not have to be a mother, married, or even female! We will gather in the Hall from 12.30, with prayers at 12.45 and lunch at 1pm. Please bring a sandwich lunch, and soup, tea / coffee and cake will be provided. MU members look forward to welcoming you!
Ann Shukman says…
- Our next Celebrating Creation morning will be on Saturday 16 September, 10 am to 1pm. A time to enjoy the gardens and woods here at Elshieshields with time for reflection and prayer.
- Please bring a sandwich if you’d like to stay on for informal discussion afterwards.
- Please tell your friends and spread the word through our churches. No need to book, but details from Ann Shukman 07884256913, or: Ann.firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to all of you who provided curtains, cutlery, kitchen utensils and the like, in response to a recent request. At the time of writing, I’ve managed to meet the various needs that were communicated to me, and I have a small bank of other things, which will no doubt ‘come in’ for others’ needs in due course. As more of our number are rehoused and the like, requests for ‘stuff’ will recur, so please continue to keep this resource in mind. Storage is the main problem, so if you are able to hang on to surplus stuff until we’re asked for it, so much the better, but if you really need it out of the house, let me know, and I’ll see what can be done. But your support of this service is very much appreciated; thank you. David
We are hoping to have special flower arrangements in the window bays in the church at Harvest, particularly celebrating the theme of ‘Gifts’. If you would like to contribute towards the cost of the flowers, provide some kind of gift, or would like to take on decorating a bay yourself, please speak to Carolynne or Janice.
Activities are resuming after the summer break. Keep an eye on the Diary, week by week, but, at present, the expectation is that Short Mat Bowling will resume, in the Hall, on Tuesday, 26/09/2023; the Quiz Nights will resume on Friday, 29/09/2023, both at 7.30pm, and the pattern of Evensong and Contemporary Services have resumed, with the Contemporary Service tonight at 6pm, and Evensong next Sunday. Posters will follow…
The Christian Aid Coffee Morning will take place on the 16th September at The Usual Place from 10.00am until 12noon. Minimum Donation for adults £3:50, children under 12 £2, family £10.
- Donations of goods for the baking/produce stall, including jams and marmalade, would be appreciated as well as for the catering. We will have some space for what we are calling a “Cornucopia” stall – gifts and small items sell best. There will be a plant stall outside.
- For any food donations, to avoid issues with allergies please ask me for an ingredients list or let me have a list at the time.
- Help on the day will be much appreciated either with the baking/produce stall or serving. If you can help please let me know and I can give you more information.
The Usual Place will be open for donations from 4-5 pm on Friday 15th September and from 9 am on Saturday or I can collect them from you.
9,300 Postcards for 9,300 Children: see the lit noticeboard (& the St J’s website) for details of this, and why you might want to support it.